Friday | 27 March | 2020
Which steps must be taken to register my business as an essential service?
According to the Essential Services Committee, you need to register your company as an essential service on the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission’s website: www.bizportal.gov.za.
If you have further inquiries, you may email the Department of Trade, Industry and Competition at email@example.com or call 0861 843 348/012 394 9500.
You must disclose the following information about your business:
- Name of the business as well as the business address.
- Registration number of your business.
- Provide the details of a contact person at the company.
NOTE: name and surname, contact number and email address of the contact person.
- Indicate the number of employees must work during the lockdown period.
According to the guidelines for completing the application for providing essential services, businesses must ensure that only the absolute minimum number of employees needed to operate the business safely during the lockdown period have to work. Click here to download the document.
- For good order, specify your industry in the affidavit. Click here to download the sworn affidavit template.
If all the information is correct, you will receive a certificate from the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission that acknowledges that your company does provide an essential service.
How do I obtain permits for my workers?
Once you have received your Certificate from the Companies and Intellectual Property Commission, you can follow this template to issue permits for every employee who cannot work from home and thus will have to move around, either on your business premises or where the service is rendered.
Please make sure that every employee who must work has the following documents on their person:
- The permit to provide an essential service on a letterhead of the company, signed and stamped by the head of the company.
- An affidavit from the head of the company describing the essential service provided.
- The identity document of the employee that has to perform the essential service.
PS: If company CEO’s currently do not have access to provide their identified employees with the permit and affidavit, they must provide it electronically to the employee for the time being until another plan can be worked out.
* All information was correct at the time of publication.